Thursday, February 11, 2010

Overheard 7pm 2/10- 2nd Screening of Nausicaa




Before the screening, I overheard a conversation. It went something like this,

"I don't want to analyze my favorite film, that will ruin it"
"No, It won't ruin it, it makes it better"
"No way, being that analytical ruins the film"

I simultaneously understand both perspectives. I know what's it's like to have a film deeply associated with all sorts of personal memories. To have someone go through it seems like pillaging all of your personal meaning out of the film. What if it brings up things that you don't agree with or dislike about the film. The analysis can seem trite and unimportant; or maybe it just seems like she is ruining something that you thought was perfect and that you loved.

The counterpoint would be that if you really love a film that much then you should want to understand all of it. Even the parts that challenge you or that you don't like. I think it's Freudian ideal that explains that one dislikes things that remind you of something you don't like about yourself.

My favorite part of Nausicaa upon the second screening is the first time that you hear the Ohmu touch Nausicaa with their tentacles and start singing. I love the connection between the Ohmu and children. It is this beautiful paradox of something so large and apparently evil actually being innocent and childlike. The Ohmu are both creators and destroyers.


Ps. I think the Matrix stole the design for the machines from Nausicaa's Ohmu.

No comments:

Post a Comment